Addiction damages many areas of life. While a lot of focus is put on the psychological damage, it brings with it. There’s also a significant amount of physical damage that occurs. Nutrition therapy is one of the foundations of recovery as a result. This is one of the services we offer at Grace Counseling. If you need nutrition therapy in Texas, let us help you.
The Importance of Nutrition Therapy
Addiction taxes the body like any other disease. The body is constantly working to heal the damage caused by, often, years of use. This may include damage to the liver and kidneys. It may cause inflammation throughout the body’s tissues. There is often evidence of damage to the heart and lungs. Many times, the cognitive decline begins as well. To give the body what it needs to recover as much as possible from addiction, nutrition therapy becomes critical.
This is one component of addiction therapy. However, overlooking it puts you at risk for health complications for years to come.
What Types of Foods Support Nutrition Therapy?
In treatment, you’ll receive medications to ease pain and to help restore balance to your health. You will also find yourself in counseling, working through medical care that’s needed, and getting support for mental health needs.
When it comes to nutrition therapy, our team works to find the right combination of nutrients for you. Here, you’ll always have balanced meals and supplemental nutrition for your needs. Yet, the treatment continues long after you go home. You’ll need the right type of foods to achieve your best recovery. Some of the foods you may use include:
- Fish and Poultry: Both of these include tyrosine, an important amino accident that can improve brain function and reverse some of the damage caused to neurotransmitters due to addiction.
- Fruits: Bananas, blueberries, and other fruits are packed with valuable nutrition. That includes antioxidants that help to flush out toxins in the body. This helps to increase overall health and organ function.
- Whole Grains: Eating fiber-rich foods can also help to get the system functioning properly again. This type of restorative nutrition helps to improve the function of the digestive system. It can also help to jumpstart the healing process.
- Vegetables: Eat a rainbow of colorful vegetables. Each color represents different nutrients in the food. Your body needs them all and consuming them from vegetables ensures proper nutrition absorption. It’s common for a poor diet to lead to health complications later when inadequate nutrients are found.
- Yogurt: Probiotic-rich foods are a critical component of the healing process. They help to ensure the proper absorption of nutrients. Also, it helps to normalize the function of the digestive system.
Get the Addiction Therapy You Need Today
For those struggling with addiction, Grace Counseling can help. We offer a range of treatment programs capable of helping to restore health and wellbeing. After a full consultation and assessment, our team works to determine the right type and level of care for your needs. This often involves other therapies as well, including:
- Individual therapy programs
- Group therapy programs
- Family therapy programs
- Couples therapy programs
- EMDR therapy programs
This, coupled with food therapy near Fort Worth, changes the course of a person’s life. There’s no way to cure addiction, but with treatment like this, it is possible to see significant improvement.
Take Care of Your Health – Call Grace Counseling Today
Supporting health is a critical part of the work we do at Grace Counseling. Nutrition therapy is just one part of that. When you are ready to start on the path towards healing with nutrition therapy near Fort Worth, Texas, connect with our professionals. Call 844.564.0712 or reach out to us online.